Tuesday

South-Asian: Indonesian Rendang

Hello again... one more time of "what do I prepare today"?

Well... c'est mua, ironchefjr! I'm going South-Asian tonight, Indonesian perhaps. I picked up Rendang beef stew (but with chicken instead) at my local South-Asian store. Let's see how that works out in flavours, time... and value. Here I go.

From the Bamboe (Bumbu) house of instant spices:
Ingredients: Onion, garlic, palm oil, coriander, ginger, chilli (not spicy), lemongrass, pepper.
  • 500g (1.1 lb) beef/chicken cubed
  • 2 cups coconut milk
Boil cubed beef/chicken gizzard until tender. Add bamboe instant spices and cook for 30 mins. Pour in coconut milk, simmer in low heat stirring occasionally, until sauce has reduced to gravy. Serve hot with rice.

Alright! Now, I give it the Tapas Cuisine approach, you follow me? This is what makes it my own dish, my own juice. Let's make it a Tapas Rendang.

First and foremost... in times of pandemics or not, I wash my hands with soap vigorously under lukewarm water for 20 seconds... eh, 40 seconds!

When I follow instructions from a house of spices, it's suggested for approximately 4 people. Without going into details about nutritional facts (15 calories per serving... 10 are from fat, 0 saturated, 0 transfat, 0 cholesterol, 17% sodium, 4% dietary fiber, no sugar, 1g of protein, no vitamin A or C, Calcium 2% and Iron 4%), I'll bring it to 1/4 of its contents.

Time needed to boil beef/chicken until tender... 30 mins. But by diluting spices into boiling water, I'm already altering these facts and flavours. Instead, I prefer sautéed in low for same amount of time. Add extra virgin olive oil, green onions, chives and garlic...and coconut milk. Mmm! Simmer for 10 more mins. Unwind the senses while it steams.

Remove beef/chicken and set aside. I personally put it in the oven at 250F temperature to keep the juices raveling. Plus... better to bring it to a proper cooking level, specially chicken.

Next... steam white rice. It's suggested as a side dish (serve hot with rice), or even par-broiled rice, but then... the gravy sauce will thicken even more on the plate. Can I suggest corn tortillas instead... for nutritional purposes as a side dish? I strongly suggest corn tortillas on a South-Asian dish. After all, it's a main and healthy staple food and great for balanced diets.

Argh... I am substituting the dishes now. Besides... when I enjoy Tapas, it's really a culinary experience to grab it with my fingers on its own. It's not finger food but you can enjoy it just the same.

Now... the sauce is almost ready. Beef/chicken in the oven is happening and my appetite is already in full steam.

Final touch... I place 4 cubes of beef/chicken on a (corn tortilla) small clay plate. Pour one tablespoon of Rendang sauce and place coriander leafs on top. Ta-da!!!

Time to prepare/cook..? 40 mins. (including rice or corn tortilla making.) Actual calories..? What the house of spices suggests. Nutritional facts...? Same as listed with enhanced add-ons. And boiling vs. sautéing? That's the tasting difference!

Value? Under $10 for one person. For a family of 4... under $10 dollars.

In the spirit of New World Cuisine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message. Your opinion is very important to improve this blog. / Gracias por tu mensaje. Tu opinión es muy importante para mejorar esta bitácora.